- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic; lightly crushed and chopped or pressed
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 4 or 5 large ripe tomatoes OR 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano chopped; or tsp dried
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary chopped; or 2 tsp dried
- 1tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar; your favourite brand
- Fresh ground sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- ½ lb ground beef, pork or turkey (optional)
- Grated Romano or Parmesan
Heat oil in large deep saucepan. If using, add the ground beef or pork or turkey and cook over medium heat till done, mash until finely textured and season to taste. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
Into the seasoned saucepan on medium heat, add the red pepper, shallots and carrots. Stir often, vegetables should start to colour but not burn. After 5 mins add the pressed garlic and rosemary. Cook 1 minute, add the oregano and balsamic vinegar. Vegetable mixture should sweat (cook gently) slowly. When carrots are almost soft, add the tomatoes to the mixture. Cook slowly, uncovered on medium-low heat about 10-15mins.
Once sauce has begun to thicken slightly, add back into the sauce, your pre-cooked meat mixture. (if you are using)
Serve sauce over Spagettini; or your favourite pasta.
Finish with grated parmesan or romano cheese.